Thursday, January 5, 2012

Loving Baby Food...

I always thought I wasn't the greatest cook but apparently I do okay with baby food, or at least with sweet potatoes. Alex loves them. So food number 1 was a success. He will eat a full, or close to it, two ounce serving at lunch and dinner. Tomorrow starts food number 2 - squash. Hopefully this will be yummy to him too.


From the day we first tried rice cereal with him, he hated it. We tried over and over again to get him to eat it, trying different consistencies and even putting it in his bottle once, but he wasn't having it. I took some to my aunt just in case she was feeling froggy and wanted to give it a try. The doctor really wanted him to eat it until at least a year old so I was hoping he would warm up to it. Yesterday Kathy told me he ate every bite of 2 tablespoons. I was shocked! How in the world did she get him to eat it? She said he loved and it and never acted like it was bad. At dinner that evening it came out that she had warmed it up before he ate it. Ah ha! So now we know, he likes warm cereal. We had never discussed the temperature of the cereal. Kathy gave it to him warm because that is how her girls ate it, but they also ate their bottles warm. From day one we have given Alex his bottle at room temperature so we never thought to do anything different with the cereal since it is fixed with his milk. Amazing how something like that can make such a big difference! I am just glad we figured it out! He ate another good serving again today so it looks like rice cereal is going to make it on the approved list after all.


Last night I had a moment as I fed Alex sweet potatoes while he was sitting in a high chair at Longhorn. I guess it really hit me that he has gotten so big and it happened so fast! My little boy isn't little any more. It is so exciting to watch him grow and develop but it is happening much faster than I expected it to. At least he is a happy, healthy baby and for that I will forever be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment